PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Reliability vs R44 piston
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2008, 11:16
Bluegold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinson R44

Have flown the R44 derivatives Astro, Raven I, Raven II and the Clipper and Police version in addition to several other helicopter types including turbines.

Used them in training and Commercial operations.

The R44 is a curious beast in that it is almost in a separate class to to other helicopters due to being largely a work of modern technology (1980's and later) with a paradoxically vintage engine (Lycoming blueprint dates from 1940's).

Despite the, at first appearance, outdated powerplant, it performs surprisingly well and is in fact faster and more agile than some light turbine helos in my opinion.

To the world it has opened up previously unthought of applications for the helicopter due to it's low operating costs. It can be found flying in such varied conditions as the desert, to Polar regions and in major Metropolis'.

It compares very well in terms of reliability to alternatives and you can't honestly go wrong in getting yourself type rated as I have a good feeling that these choppers will be around for a while due to their inherent cost-effectiveness particularly in light of the current economic environment.