PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BK crash today
Thread: BK crash today
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2008, 10:14
muffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"im sure the price of a Liberty could have purchased 2 Jabiru J230s, with glass cockpits, and have a much lower maint and running costs"

I think you'll find the same company who operate the more expensive Liberties bought them to replace largest fleet of J230s and 160s on the VH register.

There seems to be a consensus that these newer/lighter types are less forgiving, and from my very limited experience of that category of aeroplane, I would agree. However, it is important is to work out what they are less forgiving of. Is it inexperience? Poor roundout/holdoff technique? Mishandling at low speed? Incorrect airspeed maintenance?

As I alluded to in my previous post, I think blaming new aeroplane types (whether it's Jabiru, Liberty, Tecnam or whatever) is one thing, but to really move forward we have to find solutions and they are going to be found in pilot and instructor training.

I suppose one of the problems with the venerable 152 etc is they are so well designed and so forgiving of almost all types of mishandling that they have inadvertently allowed pilots (who are now instructors) to slip through the cracks with less than adequate handling skills.

Instructor training to be conducted on Winjeels and Chippies maybe