PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headwinds
Thread: Headwinds
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2008, 05:59
paweas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headwinds

Top Bunk thx for the reply i apologise, i am new to all this so i dont know much about the charts you mention i certainly dont expect folk to do any work for me ,however i though it was an interesting dilema for current pilots as personally i would choose to decend to FL 240 exchanging an extra 364 kgph of fuel over 1650nm for an increase in gs of 108kt just my two cents worth as a trainee pilot.

but hey i guess with todays fuel prices and robot metality of airlines you probably dont get to make that choice as pic any more.

Quote top bunk
[BTW: what has the aircraft type got to do with it - it is only a fuel burn number that plugs into the equation]

IMHO as a student i should think everything ! if im flying an A330-300 with full pax and cargo surely it's going to burn a hell of a lot more fuel than say a empty 737-800 on a line training sector ,surely aircraft type /weight/cost index play a part in a pilots decision to decend/climb.........no ?
also i merely mentioned the A330 as an example as it's a common type operated by asian airlines who possibly fly this route.

but hey folk remember....

I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THIS AS A MERE STUDENT AND SIM PILOT!!!! SO DONT TAKE THIS AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE FOLK.

For me it's just an interesting decision which if i was running an airline or as a dispatcher or a responsible pilot i would want to examine this decision very carefully with todays fuel prices.
I wonder if this is why airlines are scratching their head when they go spread eagle....pointing fingers at Pilots/pax and market conditions when common sense would dictate their single biggest operating overhead could be greatly reduced by leaving the decision tho the folk who operate the aircraft on the cutting edge.....no ?
Perhaps some pilots couldn't care less as long as their legal upon landing to hell with the suits and pax hey...whats another 2hr added to the trip and £15000 's worth of A1 as long as im in time for last orders at the hotel bar he says lol

just my wee bit lol probably bs but i'd like to hear the reality from like minded pilots or dispatchers, either way folk it's a problem were all going to face as pilots sooner or later in our flying career with dwindling oil supplies i suppose it depends whos paying lol......