PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Parachutes. (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2008, 01:54
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I have opened the door at 100kts, not easy, especially if the power is on but cut the power and raise the nose if poss and it is easy!
Ever opened the door and climbed out at 100 knots or higher, wearing parachute gear? I surely have...you may have pushed the door open slightly...but you didn't get out of the airplane and think it was easy.

Snag a D ring on the way out and you end up with a pilot chute and bridle wrapped around the airframe and now you're a fatal mishap about to happen.

Ever been under canopy or in free fall?

Many who do wear parachutes, including for aerobatics, have never bothered to get proper instruction in the use of that parachute, parachute malfunctions, etc.

I've had a number of inflight emergencies, ranging from simple engine failures to inflight fires. I've yet to consider getting out, or need a parachute to do it. I've been jumping out of airplanes for years. I'm comfortable doing it. I've had several parachute malfunctions over the years, several reserve rides, and was once hospitalized in intensive care following a jump that ended badly.

I'm not sure the wearing and use of parachutes by the average general aviation pilot is warranted, or necessary.