PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Green Leader', Rhodesian Canberra Cockpit Tape
Old 8th Dec 2008, 23:10
MrBernoulli

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Last I heard (not so long ago) he was still flying for a cargo outfit so, yes, he is still around.

This was 'Operation Gatling' in October 1978 - the attacks on Zipra forces undergoing training near Lusaka in Zambia . Green Section was the Canberra formation (hence Green Leader) and there was also Red, White and Blue Sections (Hunters) plus the Alouette III 'K-Car' helicopter gunships (20 mm cannons!). The Canberras were using a locally-made spherical bomb called the 'Alpha' (locally-made bombs were usually allocated alphabetical names) of which there were 300 in the bomb bay of each aircraft.

I seem to recall that an Alpha bomb was about the size of a large volleyball, with a double-walled steel body. Between the double walls there were small rubber balls that gave the bomb a 'bouncing' capability. Inside the inner wall or shell was the explosive. When dropped, at very low level, the Alpha bombs looked like a swarm of bees coming out of the Canberra bomb bay. They fell behind the rapidly disappearing Canberra in a huge swathe, bounced off the ground, which set off the fuse, and then exploded at about 15 feet agl. Because the first bombs out the bay were first to hit the ground, the explosions 'moved' forward across the target area in a fast and expanding wall of smoke, sound and shrapnel (imagine hundreds of large, loud sequenced firecrackers and you'll get the idea of the noise). Very effective anti-personnel weapon, and pretty good at defoliating when dropped amongst trees!

The Hunters in this raid were using the 1000lb Golf bomb and the 'Frantan' ('frangible tank' - polite term for napalm ..... hey, war is ****).

The longest 'Green Leader' recording that I have heard covers about 20-25 minutes, most of it the lead up to the raid. The recording linked-to here is, of course, the 'interesting' bit.

Last edited by MrBernoulli; 8th Dec 2008 at 23:54.