PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does MPL threaten operational safety?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 17:49
hawkerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is not mentioned so far is what all this is going to mean for the grey haired folks on the left :

Flying for one of those typical airline annex flightschool type of companies I see a daily influx of guys and girls, who payed a huge amount of money to get a typerating and get very little money in return(they call that salary).

Allthough very enthusiatic youngsters and great people (most) on a personal level, most are a absolute nightmare to have as a collegue when things are only beginning to go wrong by adding a bit foul wx, a few innocent caution lights and or unwilling Flight Director/autopilots.

The trainingfolks sign them off with min time and then it is time for you to continue being a training pilot, though not payed for it.

Now understand me well, I do not mind to help them down the path of ever increasing wisdom and experience, I have enjoyed the same from old grey skippers as well, but that is something different compared to the extra workload I get teaching the kids to fly/operate in this enviroment. That just should not be part of my job. With the ever decreasing turnarounds and slot contraints and busy ATC with multiple stepdown profiles , max duty-min rest beancounter schedules etc, I do not need to babysit as well and see them messing around with switches, missing calls etc. not to mention you have a full bladder, you worry to bits in your absence, hoping nothing goes wrong while being in the toilet.

And then you have the odd day, you are lucky to fly with one of the more experienced fo and or a newby with lots of time in GA beforehand, and the difference shows.

I did it the hard way, worked myself up, and have had lots of benefit from that experience.My first airline required 4000 hrs for command and allthough the time seemed long on the right, I did learn a lot.

Nowadays 1500 hrs is the time for an upgrade and the beancounters are trying to convince the public that is safe.

Meaning that Captain and co together have a total experience of 1700 hrs

But then again, what is my opinion worth..............