PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does MPL threaten operational safety?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 16:00
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was "in the loop" about MPL from the very early days as a member of the JAA Human Factors Steering Group and, like most experienced pilots, I was both suspicious and very sceptical. To a large degree I still am. However, I think people should know is that the driver for the advent of MPL was not commercial but was an all pervading feeling in the upper levels of some very big airlines the the traditional training pattern was not producing a satisfactory product for modern operations. Cheaper it is not! At the outset the amount of real flying time was ridiculously small; behind the scenes lobbying has had it increased by about 100%. It is probably still not enough but it is not set in concrete during this transitional period.

When it was just a gleam in the eye the simulator element was established in the hopeful anticipation of vast improvements in simulator capability. This took care of the lack of ATC environment. This is not yet (as far as I know) anywhere near fruition and is certainly a stumbling block. Of course the other major potential shortfall is the lack of decision making experience under the stress of fear when solo. Even today many lucky students do not experience this during their training.

On the other hand there can be no doubt that a properly trained MPL new pilot will be much more CRM savvy and will be much better informed about his first type because he will have done a good part of the course on that type and using his airlines SOPs. Incidentally, an MPL course is specific to an airline and type and the FTO has to be in bed with an airline to have approval to undertake the training. Another fact that seems to have been missed is that potential students must have had aptitude and psychological assessment before starting. This is not required currently so that is an improvement.

As I say, I am uneasy about the whole thing but it is early days. Give it time and an open mind. Encourage the youngsters so trained and, who knows, it might actually work. The product cannot be worse than the worst I have seen produced by the ATPL route.