PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relationship between Centre of Gravity and Stalling
Old 6th Apr 2002, 13:53
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relationship between Centre of Gravity and Stalling

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me the relationship between the centre of gravity, and the stalling characteristics of an aeroplane?

The Bristol groundschool notes explaination is limited to: "If the C of G is aft of the safe range ..... there is a tendancy to stall because the tailplane moment is reduced." What does the tailplane moment have to do with stalling - I thought stalling is related to the wings, not of the tailplane? Then I thought maybe the change of moment would make the elevators more responsive, meaning it would take less back pressure to produce a stall - but surely this would require an increased moment (such as with a forward centre of gravity), and not a decreased moment?

Then, to add to the confusion, there's a question in one of the progress tests on the effects of moving the centre of gravity forward, including whether the stall speed would be increased or decreased. But the notes don't actually discuss the stall speed, only the tendency to stall. Am I right in assuming that the "tendency to stal" with a rear C of G would mean an increased stall speed? And therefore a forward C of G would result in a lower stall speed? Or is this too simple?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

FFF
------------