PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BK crash today
Thread: BK crash today
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 10:59
muffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of finger pointing always surrounds accidents like these. I suppose it's fair to say any accident has multiple causing factors and in the case of most of these bigger BK schools the chances are they'd include

- Inexperienced instructors who 'don't know what they don't know'
- Overseas students under pressure to finish quickly (not necessarily at a high standard)
- Less opportunity for students or instructors to learn from 'hangar talk'
- New aeroplane types which may be less forgiving than those which the instructors learnt on, and nobody around to show them the 'right way'

My suggestions would be to do something about improving the flight safety magazine and really making it a good read (and learning tool) for both new and old pilots - not just CASA propaganda.

I also reckon it's too easy to gain solo-sending privelliges as an instructor. With how busy some of these bigger schools are, new instructors don't have to hang around long before they have enough hours for their first upgrade, and CFIs are usually under financial pressure to get them out of the valuable supervision stage ASAP. Should be a minimum calendar time imposed upon instructors with less than a certain amount of total aeronautical experience. The value of this exposure to the aviation industry is heavily underrated.

Note that my comments are general and don't relate to this particular incident specifically, as I don't know anything about it. However, I do think most of the key issues surrounding all these prangs are basically the same.

I also think it'd be a big shame to blindly throw blame on new aeroplane types, because these are what GA in this country needs.