PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's up in the REST of Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 09:00
Taxidriver009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHC have pretty much moved away any 1 or 2 aircraft contracts after closing the CHC Africa business unit last year. Now they have no contracts except Nigeria, Angola (both in trouble) and Equatorial Guinea. Are they going to regret losing various footholds?
With all the political instability, security issues and logistical problems in our beloved deepest darkest, I'm not surprised. If anyone had the choice I'm sure they will also avoid Africa, but money makes the world go around. Especially if other people "risk their lives and sanity" in the swamps on your behalf, while you and shareholders reap the benefit.

Nigeria & Angola in trouble? I know it is PPRUNE and that is the rumour, but any evidence of this? One would assume the new puppet masters will do everything in their power to retain such a substantial portion of their "perceived" cash flow?

One company you missed is Starlite who are trying to crack the nut. Picking up what was left over after Titan won the scrap over CHC's holdings in SA/Namibia. What ever happened to "their" 92's? Still in Angola? Still operating their aging J models in Sudan and Namibia? The older the cheaper........

Me thinks main reason for CHC pulling out of short term 1 or 2 a/c contracts: Why compete for bottom dollar?

Once production starts in the East Coast fields the big boys will come out to play. Unfortunately lack of infrastructure both on- and offshore coupled with current oil prices will probably move this even further to the right.