PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO English - Italian ATC
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2008, 22:31
seagull87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have to admit that...

As far as we all know, the main problem concerning the ATC phraseology is that we always say the same holy sentences.

The biggest problem here in the "beautiful country" is that, as I know (but you can always correct me) there are a lot of ex-military air traffic controller around the frequencies.
Unfortunately, italian air force did not take care about the basic spoken english level requested to be an ATC during the 70s or the 80s. This means that now, there are a lot of guys who difficultly understand an english conversation.
Just to be clear, I'm NOT saying that all ex-military ATC do not understand english, but there's a quite great number of people which can't answer "non-aviation related" questions.

And more, as far as I know, actually there aren't any english course taking place in Italy.

Thinking positive guys, it seems that during the last ATC selections, ENAV (the italian ATS provider) gave more importance to english then they did in the past.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
It would be nice! The more you want the more I can bring to you

Greetings to all, particularly to lucaberta and lucavettu, the guys I find everywhere in the net