PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2008, 18:09
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That spreadsheet will keep them going in innocuous circles for a while, eh? Total red herring – I hope it was not intended to be so.

BarbiesBoyfriend
You wrote:
<<However I am an ex Loganair pilot who's been into Campletown a great many times ... The Mull is oft shrouded in orographic cloud.>>
I wonder if you could comment on the photos and charts I posted #3095/96/97 (page 155 on this thread) 10th Jan 2008?
Do you agree that a strong southerly late after a warm day can be relied upon to get a mist running up the slope starting at a level well below the orographic cloud and that this causes a problem not of seeing the landmass but of judging distance off? (fuzzes up the ground details).

<<Used to be the MAC had no DME- might have saved them?>>
I believe that the Old MAZ TACAN (west end of runway) was still working on that day – ZD576's TACAN control unit was set for it (107x) and so it could have had DME if it had line of sight (LOS). Mitchel (who did Boeing's Analysis of Available Data) mused upon this aspect but recognised that the bearing did not fit with the a/c track. Further, LOS is well blocked at the height they were travelling at during the last leg. However for interest, the captain's HSI was found with 028 set which was the exact mag bearing of the TACAN from the position of waypoint change - the a/c's altitude at and prior to this position is not known other than by what an eye witness thought but even so probably not enough for LOS.

Last edited by walter kennedy; 9th Dec 2008 at 04:56. Reason: addition