PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 7th Dec 2008, 16:23
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proone,

Be very careful in saying such things - Falklands or no Falklands lessons learned I would suggest that we have not been prepared for any of the recent conflicts (less Al Faw).

All the more reason to have the flexible option of carrier borne aircraft here and now and for ever more. Science and technology may make carrier borne aircraft obsolete but a (misguided IMHO) assumption that RUSI/CJO/JCDC/FCO et al believe that Afghanistan is 'the' war rather than 'a' war then I believe you may be wrong (however, I hope that you are not).

As to 'colour of cloth' - sorry, I do not buy into that one. As was seen by our attempt to get Apache to sea we relied on significant experience from the dark blue in all trades and all ranks - naval aviation, ships company and dark blue desk wollers. There has to be something of a capability enhancer with those flying, maintaining, operating, guiding, authorising, air worthiness etc etc that really know their work place and environment. Rather than rocking up and pretending to be the Subject Matter Expert in Naval Aviation and pretending to integrate with the Maritime Component.

By all means have a smattering of light blue along the way, and by all means maintain a Joint Force, but the core components should be RN dark blue. I seem to remember on an RAF Flight Safety course (because the Army doesn't have its own) the gun tape of the RAF Harrier CO landing in the drink alonside one of the carriers - about 8 years ago I think (?).

Just as we in the Apache fleet (and also Army Lynx) have opted for our comfort zone of steering well clear of going to sea I personally believe that from where I sit (with absolutely nothing to gain from this dark blue v light blue willy waving competition) I reckon that as soon as the RN handed over its fast jet fleet to the light blue then the RAF would find every possible conceivable excuse why they should not go to sea - and if they were forced to go to sea then it would be on their terms and conditions.

I say this because I know that the RN also gave up fighting for their integral Armed Helicopter capability (847) because they were 'promised' a double earmarked Apache Squadron and funny old thing we too have all of our excuses all lined as to why Apache cannot go to sea.

No wonder the RN appear seen off as we stiffed them with Apache, are probably about to lose out on any dedicated amphib BRH and now looks as though the RAF are trying to 'steal' RN fixed wing through a charade of 'best interests of thenations defence'.

I think I would be paranoid after being let down by the other 2 services and seeing genuine and operationally effective capabilities frittered away by inter service politics all disguised as 'jointery'.