PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2008, 12:11
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That goes back to what I was saying. The aircraft is under cover for now but that situation is unlikely to last forever. David Walton needs the hangar space for revenue-raising storage so you couldn't blame him for wanting the aircraft removed if the project stalls. There's a certain dark inevitability about it all. You can see how it's going to go - TVOC will continue making pleas for dontations and sponsorship and there will never be enough cash to keep the aircraft flying. Hopefully it will re-appear next year but I doubt that it will be around for long. Once the money is gone, it will be on the ground, requiring money just to keep it in a viable condition.

Once it reaches that stage, it's doomed. Walton will eventually want the aircraft out of the hangar (he's unlikely to allow it to stay there, costing him money, if there's no prospect of it flying) and so it'll go outside where it will rapidly deteriorate. The CAA will continue imposing ridiculous and unattainable rules on the aircraft until it rapidly reaches a state where there isn't even enough money to fly the aircraft out of Bruntingthorpe, even if hangar space is found elsewhere. Then what? It will be left there to rot.

Surely, TVOC ought to have the foresight to accept that despite their efforts, there is no pot of money that will miraculously appear, and even if they struggle through into next year's display season, the future is bleak. It's sad but it's clear to everybody. So the only option left is to start looking across the Atantic where FAA regulations are much less nazi-esque, where the weather conditions are much better (and external storage doesn't necessarily mean abandonment), and there is at least a faint glimmer of hope that somebody might be found who can provide funds to fly the aircraft now and again. I accept that it's not much more likely than here in the UK, but it's got to be worth a try. What is the alternative? I suspect it will look something like the above.

This hair-brained idea of retiring the aircraft to Duxford doesn't make sense either. If that happens it will sit outside, gradually deteriorating, making occasional taxy runs to attract punters to the museum. Once even that becomes too expensive, the aircraft will be abandoned. They already have a Vulcan under cover so they're unlikely to find space for another. Given Duxford's track record, they will probably scrap the aircraft when they get bored with it.

It's a sad business and having been a close follower of the project for many years (because of my interest in my various book projects and photography work etc.) there's nothing I'd like more than to see the aircraft back on the show circuit for many years to come. I'm a huge fan of the magnificent Vulcan. But let's be realistic - patently it isn't going to happen. So it must be better to accept reality and look at what could be salvaged, rather than simply plodding-along, ostrich-like, until it's too late to prevent the aircraft being lost forever.

More cynical observers could easily conclude that the muddled, constantly-changing, semi-secret and often confusing attitude of TVOC suggests that some of the people involved are more interested in maintaining their well-paid jobs, rather than having the real interests of the aircraft's future at heart. I think quite a few of us would like our suspicions to be proved wrong but I see very little evidence to persuade us.