PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick go-around
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2002, 07:40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember being taught during my flying training that every approach was an approach to "go around". It is only if everything is as it needs to be that an approach is then continued to land. I know of a DC10 going around at Gatwick having spent some time with its main gear on the runway. (I was the catcher. Wet and gusty tailwind approach, the nose wouldn't come down quickly enough - full power and round again.) The last thing the pilot of a fast jet approaching his carrier does before he crosses the roundown is apply full power, IN THE EXPECTATION that he is going to bolt. Catch a wire - close the throttles, miss the wires - close the speed brake.

I have also seen a Tristar going around from about 100' and then being turned over Crawley to separate from the B747 just rotating underneath it. It did look like an airshow yes but appropriate intervention kept it safe.

We have become so good at getting it right that when occasionally things don't work it is sensationally blown up into something horrific. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh?

Point 4

Last edited by 120.4; 6th Apr 2002 at 07:42.