PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 7th Dec 2008, 04:53
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I certainly do not love the Navy or the fast jet community, but what I do have is an interest in the defence of the country and also from the 'shop floor' level making sure that my tiny voice is heard when I see inter service politics and 'land grabs'/feathering of nests interfering with future defence policy - after all I am a tax payer and British citizen as well!

If I can see that this is all about inter service rivalry then I hope to God that CDS and the MoD do (but then again current CDS is a fast jet mate, so they are probably all in together!). Of course we are going to offer up Harrier as a cost savings measure to the beancounters - the sacrificial lamb that on the surface saves money in a time when normally the Services are 'bleating' to save and not cut - so a service that offers a cut is a PR coup with much chance of getting through the media/political spotlight.

However, take a step back and look at the motive. If we the RAF sacrifice our Harrier force and take the pain (limited 'pain' really as we now just backfill our other fast jet slots to full manning - smoke/mirrors and makes top brass look good with manning levels) then that is job done in removing the Fisheads from fixed wing aviation. Land have already done it with the Commando capability, Strike can now reign supreme in the fixed wing world if they manage to bluff this one through.

As I said, I have no love for the Navy whatsoever and they can keep the O Boat, but I do recognise that if we as a country think that we are just going to be able to drop an essential defence capability and pick it back up again in 10 years then MoD are certainly not looking at long term strategic capability, but short term money in the bank to pay off their huge debt.

As to my senior officers - shame on you for even believing that you could pull this one off without it going unnoticed by the masses. As to the chief fishead falling on his sword - good on him if that is what it takes to make people sit up and listen. How many times on this web site have we scoffed at senior officers that have left the service with a fat pension and a place in the Lords that then decide to have some moral fibre, a backbone with integrity.

I know that times are tight and the Govt is forcing increasing budget restraints/constraints in every area, but please can someone stop this inter service playground squabbling - Joint Force Harrier, Joint Helicopter Command-if we have to go Joint, then make it Joint, not a platform to increase any one Services area of influence or size. The powers that be have directed that we go Joint in key areas - so lets do it and not view the Joint aspect as a method of expanding empires or ensuring any one colour of uniforms survival. If decisions were made on capability and adding value to Defence rather than what colour uniform will fly or operate the capability, then I am sure that efficiencies and resources would be made.

How much effort is being spent in 'staffing' inter service political survival rather than supporting the boys/girls actually doing the business frontline today, and just as importantly for the conflicts that have yet to confront us in the decades ahead

Sorry for a Sunday emotion, but I see Jointery working on the coal face really well - and not just Afghanistan. What is really evident is the single service mentality in supposedly 'Joint' organisations that is making those at the bottom of the pile roll their eyes as 'mum and dad' argue in the safety of their offices not over key important decisions for future capabilies but more on how to dress up an argument/policy to ensure that it favours one service or the other.

Either do Jointery properly or go back to the Secretary of State for Defence and say it is not working (as per the Canadians) - please do not attempt petty little manoeuvres that make us all look very unprofessional.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 7th Dec 2008 at 05:56.