PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 22:47
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is this "new team" and why have they appeared? What's happened to the old people? I noticed somebody on UKAR talking as if he was presiding over TVOC's publicity now - you'd think he'd have better things to do than argue endlessly with plane spotters...

I'm inclined to say that if TVOC really do want to hear from people with serious ideas, they should try going-back and re-tracing ideas and offers that they've received in the past - and ignored. I know of various people who tried to help with practical ideas and who were ignored, myself included.

As has been said before, the best thing TVOC could do is stop letting Dr.Pleming and others talk to the media with his endless "this is our last chance" chat. It's been said so many times that nobody listens. Fundamentally, TVOC needs a spokesman who is articulate, knows all the facts and figures, and who isn't going to talk nonsense when a microphone is shoved in front of him.

The other fundamental problem concerns the number of people that TVOC pays and how much they're being paid. I've received so many tales from people (often in confidence) over past years highlighting just how much money is spent on people, rather than the aircraft. It's time that every penny was acounted for clearly, so that potential donors can see precisely what they've supporting.

As for the idea of adding money to show admission tickets, I'm amused to read that the idea has been refused. Personally, I think the answer to that is clear - if the show organiser is unwilling to stick a Pound or so on the admission ticket to pay for the Vulcan, then don't send the Vulcan. For example, it wouldn't exactly ruin RIAT to stick a couple of quid on their overpriced admission fees to support the Vulcan. So if they've been approached about this and refused, then don't send the Vulcan along. It's their loss.

But as I've said before, I think it's pretty clear that the project isn't going to run for too long, given that insufficient money has been found and little more is likely to miraculously appear under the present circumstances. If TVOC have any sense at all (and are not primarily interested in keeping their well-paid positions) they'll use their time to look at potential homes in the US for the aircraft so that when they do have to finally admit that the aircraft can't fly here any longer, it can at least be flown-out of the UK before the posionous CAA prevent it from ever escaping. It might fare no better in the US but at least there's a faint hope of survival over there, whereas even a temporary grounding in the UK is almost certain to ensure that the aircraft remains grounded forever.