PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heres a curly one for ya!
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 20:48
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cessna certified the 550 Citation II in two versions, the Citation II SP (single pilot) limited to 5,700 MTOW and the heavier Citation II. Identical aircraft, different paper work.

I recall many years ago asking DCA to grant an exemption for the operation of our Citation II, single pilot at a max weight of 5,700 kg. The exemption was sought for ferry, freight flights etc.

The exemption was denied outright, although we were given an exemption against the requirement for an SCPL (ATPL), which we had not asked for. The reason became clear a few weeks later when two Examiners sought an endorsement, neither holding an SCPL.

I think you will be struggling to get CASA approval to "downgrade" an aircraft MTOW from above to below the mythical 5,700 kg, especially if it involves a reduction in Class A maintenance requirements.

Did the early Metro go the other way when re-engined? I seem to recall they increased above 5,700 kg when -10 engines were installed? I'm guessing this was a manufacturer re-certification?

Last edited by Torres; 6th Dec 2008 at 21:39.