PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to Dubai?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 14:31
grizzled

Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Move to DXB?

Geebz,

Your own comments -- and those of Kingpost -- some it up pretty well.

If you moved because you didn't like where you were, or you would save more money, or you would be in a better place in terms of your lifestyle and life experience, then you would likely be better off (and happier) in Dubai. As it is, DXB will bring you none of the above.

Yes, prices on purchased housing are dropping, but, so far at least, rental prices are not following suit. I've been paying AED 200,000 for the past year for a nice 2bdrm in the Marina and my landlord is demanding 240,000 if I want to renew for another year (which I won't do).

You likely know the rest, so I'll simply remind you: Remember that when you move here you are committed to a year at a time, due to the fact that apartment rent must be paid a year in advance. You can sometimes get away with two cheques (6 months each) but that will cost you a premium. Importantly, in terms of ongoing expeses, the UAE is one of the places in the world where a car is not an option. Lastly, the phrase "no taxes" has become a bit of a joke. The extra charges and fees that you pay for services in the UAE now add up to a significant amount.

In sum, there once was a time when it was worth putting up with the mantra of "construct, consume, and abuse" but more and more people are simply leaving (if and when they can of course).

Feel free to PM for a chat on anything specific.

Grizz