PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten to be indicted over TAM crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 12:32
aguadalte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Colleague,
As I said before:
Airbuses are fantastic aircraft, but they could be better!
I do like the FBW concept, I just do not agree with non-moving throttles and non-feed-back side-sticks.
And in this thread I'm trying to explain that it is a huge injustice to simplistically hold those pilots responsible for something that just goes beyond a simple process of retarding both levers to land an aircraft.
The same applies to the flight safety manager of TAM. I don't think the Flight Safety Department has anything to do with this accident, although I'm well aware that I'm in no possession of all the information.
I'm not trying to hold anyone legally responsible for this accident, including Airbus Industrie. I'm trying to bring some light into the possibility of an improvement to the Airbus Industrie FBW concept. I defend the idea that moving throttles would have prevented this accident to happen, because you're more "involved" with the process of managing power, and that because of the complexity of the ATS system one can commit mistakes under catastrophic stress. The simpler the concept, the easier to handle.
Let me give you an example:
Here in Europe, manual geared automobiles were the standard. I was driving automatic geared cars for more than a decade when it happened to me that I had once to break hard to avoid an accident. My left foot went immediately to the embrayage (clutch).The contrary happens a lot, to people used to drive automatic geared cars, when driving manual geared ones. They just simply forget to use the embrayage when stopping in a red light, and the engine goes off...
What I intend to say is that, all of us tend to go back to basics when facing disaster and one has more chances to survive if the machine really handles as expected.
Fly Safe.
Aguadalte.