PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the jobs gone?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 08:15
TWOTBAGS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
J3.... how can we not generalise when if we say Harry, Tom & Bill at XYZ Aviation all failed to be upgraded and are now back on the line.....

Tiddles and Tail Wheel would have a pink fit of naming names and more than likely I would be sin binned...... not likely sunshine.

Well, surprisingly enough this is exactly what happened this week at my mob, 3 guys of various nationalities and capabilities all got told that sorry mate you dont cut the mustard and back to the right seat for you.

There is one thing in common among all three - generation.

empacher48 makes a very good point and I faced the same thing. At 28 I found myself the Chief Pilot of a RPT operator with multi turbines, by 29 I realised that if I did not actively look for another position I would be in the job until I karked it, like the "Crusty old C*^@$" that are still there.

I went back o/s and have gone onto much bigger and better things, while I have mates at QF, DJ & J* they dont regret their moves but most of them are bored senseless and realise that they have golden handcuffs.

Plenty of these fellas did the hard yards, and some did it tougher than others, but when we get together and sink a couple, or chat more often than than not the APPARENT attitude of the younger crew members appears to be holding back their career progression.

These particular crew members are also the ones that have "generally" gained a licence straight out of school, generally done a quick stint in the bush or around the circuit at Bankstown and found themselves in the right seat of a regional for a year or so and next they passed selection to a big boy.

This is not wishy washy hearsay this is fact.

These guys and gals will be the ones that when they do get their command they will do it for 10 years and realise that the grass in not greener, and left seat for a 320 is as good as it gets without dropping to the bottom of someone elses seniority list...... then they retire from the industry at 45 finally realising that it may not have been really what they wanted.

If you are lucky enough like me to be some one who has turned their passion into their job then every day that you are doing what you want and not getting a train to an office, looking at the 4 walls of a cubicle waiting for 4:59:59........... then you are the luckiest guy alive.