PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does MPL threaten operational safety?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2008, 10:20
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here we go again....

I often cannot believe the "tunnel vision" displayed by some people when reading posts here on pprune.
The MPL is a new system, and like all licensing systems before it, it does require development over time. The current frozen ATPL system was not as it is now in its embryonic days in the 1950's. I know of someone who, circa 1960 had a NZ CPL with the the majority of his (low) hours on Tiger Moths. He was invited to interview with BOAC no less, was accepted, then trained for the UK IR on BOAC's "in house" de Havilland Dove, then straight on to a Britannia 4 engine turboprop! I'm sure he was a "burden" on the Captains to start with, but so is EVERYONE while they get their first few hundred hours on bigger/faster aircraft. When i first flew a jet, at 365 hrs tt, it was like a brain transplant and it took me a couple of hundred hours to get totally comfortable with it. All experience is useful, but it it most useful if it is RELEVENT experience. These days, with FMS, autopilot/autothrottle (99% of the time as encouraged by SOP's) then experience in a sophisticated sim of the actual type to be flown in service is much more relevent and therefore useful. If the captain, sitting next to one of these "100 hr wonders", as they have been referred to, feels uncomfortable then maybe he is in the wrong job...It is A PART of his job to instill what is called airmanship, its the master/apprentice setup. If he is unable to do this he has no place as a training captain, and if he is purely unwilling to do this then he is being lazy and selfish.
The main problem with the MPL is the fact that it is operator specific, and anyone going thru the programme is then tied to one airline for a considerable time. This inevitably invites erosion of T&C's and also the risk of the carrier going under, leaving the MPL holder with a useless qualification. This is the way the airlines wanted it and it is this that needs to be changed. It is a battle of VESTED INTERESTS. On the other side is the VESTED INTERESTS of CPL schools, who make a good living out of providing training on clapped out Senecas etc, treating the pupil like sh*t etc. MPL will cut them out of the loop.
The MPL needs development, but it seems there are people against it because they have the attitude that because they trained a certain way then that has to be the best, or they stand to lose out financially. The airlines are for it, but only if they can keep the restriction of being tied to a particular airline, apart from that they don't really care how the pilot was initially trained. MPL holders will do just as well as the 250 hr integrated course graduate or the 1500hr Cessna instructor "self improver".
Quote: "Time in, is gold".........errmmm not necessarily. I've flown with pilots in the past who have thousands of hours and still can't operate an aircraft properly. Now THAT is scary.

Last edited by Private jet; 5th Dec 2008 at 10:57.