PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh My God - I have done it -- and I am scared
Old 5th Apr 2002, 21:03
NorthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll apologise in advance for wetting a few bonfires....

I work for a very successful operator, flying and doing some fascinating office work, and yet I would drop it all tomorrow for a 'proper' job with weekends off and predictable hours. When it's good, it's oh-so-good. The rest, the majority of the time, it's awful.

Sadly, once you fly, you have only one skill. Yes, think about it seriously, only one skill. If you can't make money exercising that skill, you're dead in the water. Most other professionals have skills which would allow them to re-train into other well-paid professions with relative ease. Pilots don't. Very few professionals work as hard as pilots can, or do so much extremely early and late work. I have some strong feelings about the long-term effects of working to the limits of CAP371 or equivalent. Take a look at the (few) statistical analyses of survival amongst long-term long-haul pilots. Yes, this job will kill you early.

You'll work in an industry now wholly-owned by accountants. Standards are lower than ever and falling. Believe me, I've seen it (from the flight deck, the office, and the regulatory stand-point).

Finally, no other equivalent profession expects its inductees to cover the entire cost of their basic training. Does this not tell you something extremely profound about the manner in which your future employers will view you?

I'd love to go on for pages, and maybe one day I will, but not now. It's time for bed. Saturday tomorrow, and whilst the kids take the day off I'll be flying again. And Sunday too.