PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok int'l airport closed
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2008, 09:20
Thaimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourism in trouble

Quite correct Harrogate in what you say, but which ever way you play the visa rule will depend very much on what your intentions are when your down here, but I fear it will still put a lot of potential travellers off coming to Thailand. Seasoned backpackers are a canny lot and will be looking for another hub to use which will give them better service and at a more desirable cost. Thailand has I think for the time being lost it's way and to a certain extent lost it's unique appeal. The once must see jewel in the east has let it's crown slip. The usual coastal resorts have milked the trailer trash tourist to death and have nothing more to offer than another bar and a "short time sir"The more seasoned traveller looking for a cultural holiday can find that elsewhere in the surrounding countries without all the problems of Thailand in the back of their minds. Thailand is hurting right now and next year it will get a lot worse, the country is at the beginning of a credit crisis which has yet only one way to go and that is down hill, with the tourism trade on the brink of collapse thousands of thais will be out of work, revenue will take a huge blow and that will only add further problems to a government already in serious trouble itself. I'm not sure if it will survive in the short term, quick thinking strong policies and strong leadership are required at the moment to offset a collapse.. unfortunately all sadly lacking at the moment!!