PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New DII(F) IT System
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2008, 09:03
8-15fromOdium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PN I agree with you on this:
Odium, no it isn't. Atlas are removing perfectly good 19 inch and larger VGA VDU and replacing them with 17 inch DVI VDU. Then, if you want a 19 inch you have to make a business case to buy a new 19 inch display.
The connector isn't the problem, the contract spec is. You can get 17" and 19" VDU's with DVI &/or VGA connectors. On a technical note the VGA connectors mean that the PC video card will have a Digital to Analogue convertor, the signal will be transported to the monitor as analogue, and the monitor will then be converting the Analogue back to Digital so the image can be displayed, DVI just cuts out the need for the two conversions (the idea being to help maintain signal quality and system reliability-less to go wrong). VGA was great when we were using CRT monitors, but now the vast majority are LCD, DVI is a more sensible choice. However most monitor manufacturers still ship with both VGA and DVI inputs.

It seems to me that people are (quite rightly) hacked off because they are losing 19" screens in favour of 17" ones. This is a loss in capability, screen estate is a major factor in efficient working for those who spend all day in front of a PC.

Finally Dallas and PN I must violently agree with you concerning the 'knowledge' of some of our seniors, it seems the words of Trenchard have long been forgotten:

“Technical knowledge will, inter alia, qualify an officer for selection for high command”