PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten to be indicted over TAM crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2008, 00:06
TO MEMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aguadalte,

FBW airplanes are 4th generation airplanes and 737s, A310s and 767s are 3rd generation airplanes. One problem we pilots have (as with everyone) is being relunctant to accpet change. Aviation won`t return to the 3rd gen for sure, we are on our way to the 5th gen with so many stuff becoming available soon, like GPS technology, RNAV RNP, ADS-B, ethernet links allowing better use of automation, cockpit simplification, increased computer use and instead of 10 computers for 10 tasks, we`ll soon have 1 or 2 for 10 tasks.

My point is more and more things will be taken out of pilot control (at least for normal operations) and we just have to adapt and... enjoy. Automation will bring other problems for us to solve since automation is used to simplify what has been complicated (procedures, minima decrease, etc).

Again my point is, the A320 thrust levers are good, but not good enough as demonstrated by the incidents and accident that have happend. Airbus has disapointed me for not having come up with a better solution than an aural warning that was provided in a FWC upgrade that was not mandatory (that also involves local regulators, they also have some blame) at least inicially. I believe that after the Congonhas accident it is now mandatory, but I`m not sure. Airbus recognizes this since the A330 thrust levers design and from there on are different. So its a question of TL design and not the way they work. They are good!

If you would leave one TL on the 737 forward during landing the same result would happen, but the TL desing is different making it indeed more dificult to happen.

One other thing. You said you never disconnected the ATHR on the 737... I believe you, what you used to do was to override it. Why? Because it couldn`t keep speed... so it didn`t work well. For me an airplane that you have to override an automation most of the time, like the 737 ATHR - and I also flew it - its better for that airplane not to have that feature at all.

Returning to the original thread, looks like that nolonger 10 people will be charged. Charges against some 2 or 3 people will be withrawn because there was not enough matter.

Fly safe!