PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's wrong about having a CPL/ME/IR
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 22:45
boeingbus2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the cost of 0 to 200 hr FATPL cadet is about £65,000+ (depending on training location), add to that accomodation and living expenses for 12-13 months the cost of a cadet will be close to £80,000 if not more just to be ready for a type rating course.

Now compare a CPL/IR holder. 200 hrs already with proven Multi-engine instrument flying experience. If they were to undergo 50 hrs refresher training to bring the candidate upto speed (assuming a long gap since completing flying training) and to "mould" candidate into company culture and practices, and to monitor quality of training, the cost to be ready for TR course would be no more than £20,000. Thats a considerable saving of both time and money.
This assumes 13 months for the ab-initio and 4 months for the CPL/IR refresher.

At the moment there are many experienced jet pilots on the market, however not all would be willing to work in the Middle East for various personal reasons. However airlines like EY and GF (who operate smaller jets like A320/A321) could use CPL/IR ready pilots much sooner than having to wait 13-14 months for a cadet to complete the course. Of course they wouldnt have had the influence in the training from day one, however the 4 month refresher period would still be a saving in both time and monetary terms.

I know I am missing something big here, but the figures surely speak for themselves.