PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 22:07
reydelcastillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mainjafad Ref # 102

Thank you for the information on the radars , as far as what was done to the ANTPS 43 Westinghouse when conflict ended I really don't know - That one was the one Air Force had in use -

As far as the ANTPS 44 Cardion , which was the one I operated during the conflict , remember we were hit by naval artillery the night of may 11 , which put it out of service - We didn't need to do anything since it was already damaged by shrapnel from the naval artillery -
And going back to this particular event , that night we were operationg , suddenly naval bombardment starts hitting us , we just run out of the cabin , one soldier is killed right there , I remmember laying on the flor at the entrance of the radar and naval proyectils exploding for what to me seemed to be above ground and shrapnel hitting every were - When hit , very loud explosions and very bright light and seems as everything shakes -
I still think that they were exploding just above ground , with proximity amunition ( Does naval 4.5 amo have proximity detonator ? )

That Cardion had impacts on the side of the antena and the side of the cab were electronics sit , several panels dammaged -