PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which wireless manufacturer?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 20:31
Wing Commander Fowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which wireless manufacturer?

Hi Chaps.

The time has come to utilise wireless for streaming around the house (video, music etc). I just bought a media pc as the main component. I already have a wireless broadband router (G) and all laptops are wireless enabled.

My plans involve:

Buying a terrabyte NAS as a hub and using this to contain all of the media. Since I have a few websites hosted with a hosting organisation I was wondering whether I could start to save a few pence by hosting my own? This has led me to think about security if the server is going to be connected to the net permanently. So, I guess a good physical firewall might be a good idea too. Now it looks like I may be best off starting with the network from scratch so my question is:

Which manufacturer should I be considering for the wireless components? They all seem to say that they will perform better if all adaptors are same manufacturer. I can see this is possible. I'm not going to change the laptops as they are onboard units but I guess the second or third media centre or server unit which goes on the other tv's in the house could have the appropriate manufacturer's units.

Is a wireless N router with a better firewall the solution to security? Or should I be looking at some other means?

All help much appreciated and beware - you may be bombarded with further questions!