PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC to the Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 11:14
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fascinating thread. Rather off-thread but here goes:

WHBM: Any chance of posting a BOAC summer 1958 timetable as you did for the Oct. 1962 timetable? We lived in Sudan in 1958-61 and a good night out in those days was to have dinner on the roof terrace at Khartoum airport. I recall BOAC Britannias and Comet 4's, SAA DC7B's, Alitalia and KLM DC6B's, Air Liban and Ethiopian DC6B's, plus many others. I recall the first BOAC Comet 4 arriving on the inaugural London-Jo'burg run, some time in 1959 I think. The clientele in the roof top restaurant stood up and clapped as it landed. KRT was quite an interesting airport in those days as virtually every Europe-East and South Africa flight seemed to stop there.

We flew from KRT to Cairo via with refuelling stop at Port Sudan on a Sudan Airways DC3 on one occasion, and yours truly (aged 9) was invited to sit in the right hand seat and make a few gentle turns! My first flying lesson! No-one I told thought much of it at the time.

We also flew KRT-Wadi Halfa-Benghazi-Rome-Gatwick in a Transair Viscount 800 in May 1959. The tarmac was melting at Benghazi, with the result that the pax trod sticky tarmac all over the new carpet, much to the disgust of the hostie. Gatwick was very new, and I believe we were one of the first aircraft to use the new terminal. While refuelling at Rome, the inaugural commercial Caravelle flight passed through, Air France, routing Paris-Rome-Athens-Istanbul.

Maybe I should start a Khartoum 1950's thread with this posting?