PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok int'l airport closed
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 02:37
Thaimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out "farangs"

I have been living and working in Thailand for several months now and have been watching this scenario develop.Opinions are welcome from both pro & anti gov supporters there's plenty of ammo for both camps to dine out on.Having a perpetual corrupt government that bleeds a country dry dosen't help any more than protesters closing the main a/ports to try to bring change.Thailand like any country is feeling the big "C"..credit crunch!!I have local Thai friends who have businesses in tourist hot spots and have said already this year it is noticeably down on previous years due to the recession, so much so that a lot of them are closing down as they could not winter out the quiet period.I was down in Hua Hin the other day just for a short break and you could count the number of tourists on one hand, locals said it would normally be bustling by now, also the number of premises empty and up for rent is showing a grim but real picture. So be warned if you dare venture this far east for a holiday this year or next, don't think for a second that you will get a cheap deal when you land to help offset an expensive flight, you will be welcomed with open arms of course and they will greet you with a "sawadee" then they will decend on you quicker than a starving mosquito and relieve you of your hard earned cash quicker than Dick Turpin..but he at least had the good grace to wear a mask!!Pale faces you have been warned!!