PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok int'l airport closed
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 00:15
harrogate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've already mentioned that the translation we have says that it's only 30 days for longhaul arrivals.

It appears that there's an explicit mention in the new rules that says all modes of entry from countries within the region will only get you 15 days - even air arrivals.

So to get 30 days each time, you'll need to arrive from a longhaul destination. Not sure how the low cost carriers in the region are gonna receive this. It's bad news for them.

You already got 30 days when you flew into Thailand from within the region, but now they're saying you'll only get 15 days when entering by air or land from a neighbouring country. Given the ever-growing costs of flying with the low cost carriers in the region when compared to the overland alternatives (which are good and efficient, on the whole), then it doesn't take a genius to work out that flying gives you no advantage and will cost you more.

If the translation we've been looking at is right, then this is most definitely not good news for regional carriers. The change doesn't affect longhaul operators at all.

From what I know about Thai immigration in recent years, this looks like a bungled attempt at trying to funnel people through airports rather than land borders. The 15 day allocation for air travellers arriving from within the region scuppers the plan though. I wouldn't be surprised if they either amended the rules for regional flights and granted 30 days for all flight arrivals, or just did their usual trick and didn't enforce the rules for air arrivals, even though on paper the rule still stands.

Clarity is not something they do well at all.

Last edited by harrogate; 4th Dec 2008 at 00:34.