PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hear ye, Hear Ye, This Is The Truth!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 16:26
Jackboot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed wing v heli

I enjoy the best of both worlds.

Having come from a fixed wing PPL background and amassed 500 hours heli in just 3 years, all on Robinsons, I would say that the R44 is a lot easier than some of the quirky vintage fixed wing machines I fly.

I soloed a 22 after 8 hours/ zero previous experience despite being well into my 50's.

I dread to think of the risks involved if my 30 years fixed wing experience was actualy on helis and I had only 8 hrs TT fixed wing before launching off in one of my precious vintage machines.

You can point a heli into wind most of the time at the critical phases of flight. With fixed wing its a luxury.

Sorry, but I think there is a great deal of elitism in the fling-wing fraternity.

An R44, with its modern hydraulically assisted controls is a breeze to fly and a person of average ability will crack the hover in just a few hours.

Everybody says to me, 'it looks really difficult'. My stock answer is 'its easy. You just need to train your brain to do it just as you did when you learned to drive. What seems impossible to start with becomes completely natural once you've learned how to do it.'

On a straight comparison in VFR conditions the heli IMO is no more difficult than fixed wing and in some respects a lot easier and more natural.

The accident stats do of course bear out that they are easier to crash, I'd give you that!

JB