PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anotther QANTAS CC Thread
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 08:31
Domestos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QANTAS

Has anyone read about the Qantas/BA merger? I just heard about it on qfcrew.com today. Qantas has made it public knowledge that it is interested in merging but there are no guarantees at this stage

Would the ramifications be positive or negative? I think they will be negative.... this "Super Airline" will want to hack off certain overlapping bits.....eg. catering, cleaning, crew....to make it more streamlined and economically viable. Would the merger mean the end of an Australian icon?

Just like the Airline Consortium bid a few years back...I doubt the shareholders of QF will let it get across the line. Then again, Alan Joyce might be clever enough to sell the idea to the shareholders citing that they would get a better return on their investments if QF merged with BA....much like CBA and St. George Banks.

My question is....who takes over whom? Does BA buy out QF or the other way round?....If neither party buys out each other....then my guess is that both BA and QF will form a holding company to buy a controlling interest in both....that way both of them will be able to keep their branding but all profits get siphoned off to the holding company.