PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the jobs gone?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 05:48
E&H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Problem FloRider...seems a waste to have all this knowledge about the industry and not make some use of it.. The overriding theme in the coming months/years will be to not give up and to have a plan...and a car. Make use of the xmas period to get a job (while your working your not spending) and put some money together with the view to being ready to hit the road Feb/March next year.

I got my first job that way...with a massive 200 hours and a C210 endorsement. My first ever charter was from Alice to Weipa in a C210 to carry a spare part for a trawler. I flew along the coast of cape yorke and marvelled at all the lights of the trawlers (they had just started a new idea where they would open the Gulf up for seasonal periods and they were all there waiting for the start)

I had to wash planes, work maintenance and bus passengers around for 5 months...anybody that was around in those days will tell of similar stories...we got good at pulling beer, waitering...or in my case anything in civil constuction, waiting for that call to come in for some piecemeal work or the odd charter.

Do not sit around that is what a lot of my mates did..some made it but a lot didn't...also regards Ralph the Bong comments unfortunately what he says appears to have some truth in it. In as much as I work for three companies and they are all telling me the same thing... they are over it with employing younger people. There comments are that they just do not put the work in. Not trying to start a Gen Y bash here...when I was about 35 the big thing was that if you were over 45 you were considered too old. Maybe for once I am in the right age group??? (47)

To add a bit more about the financial side of things I sold down and bought as cheap as possible...e.g. I bought an old HQ station wagon so that if I had to I could sleep in it (never did)...also parts were cheap and even my wife learnt how to get out when the lights were green and politely give the prick behind who was tooting his horn, the bird, while diving under the bonnet and unjamming the gear selectors before driving off just as the lights turned red again.

Anyways just don't stop trying and take on board all comments here...a lot of experience from people who have had to do it the hard way...and they survived.

Last edited by E&H; 3rd Dec 2008 at 06:00.