PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten to be indicted over TAM crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 04:49
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks TP, your training manual gives here as "many" details than the most up to date FCOM …

Originally Posted by armchairpilot94116
If you guys havent read it, the congonhas crash thread is very indepth.
TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
Absolutely, very informative that huge thread of 130 pages.
All the contributors have produced a captivating reading and one year later there would still be a lot to say. I would like to comment on one of its posts #2295 on page 115

Originally Posted by PJ2
Before this accident, if someone has posited the scenario on PPRuNe, would you or anyone here have ever given creedance or even entertained the (wild) notion that thrust levers would/could possibly be left in any other position than idle, in any design, A or B, upon landing? I think not.
Sir, you are absolutely correct … but only as you fail to mention that Congonhas was already the third accident of the type. A trend developed already but 99% of the pilots around the world, including myself, and probably that implicated TAM crew, were kept ignorant of that once believed unconceivable mishap and its possible dire consequences … but Airbus knew and deliberately opted to ignore the very simple safety recommendation made after the second accident.

At that time Airbus faulted in two ways :
  1. They failed to publish at minimum an FCOM BULLETIN as subject : Landing with one deactivated Thrust Reverser
  2. They failed to implement the safety recommendation for a very simple alteration of the RETARD auto call out logic.
Strong of those two points, there was no Congonhas !

No chance the media will ever pick up on that. Far too serious for them and certainly not allowed to speak the truth anyway, but from the professionals on this forum, it is somehow disturbing not to feel more connivance and support in the name of safety.