PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the jobs gone?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 03:46
E&H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FloRider...welcome to aviation circa 1990s'. The period we have just witnessed in aviation i.e. jobs abound for everyone is the first time I have seen it like that in my 24 year career. I suspect it will be the last...who really knows?

What I do know is that if we are heading back to the period like the early 90s' then only those that are dedicated to making a career out of aviation will still be around for the next "boom." Aviation comes at a price and I'm not just talking about the monetary cost of licences, endorsements etc.

Personally I have taken time out from the industry these last 2 years and have found life outside of aviation extremely rewarding...earning up to 4 times as much as I ever did as a regional airline pilot...and having some really good bosses. I think the best thing has been the appreciation that they show for my efforts. Not only has the financial side of it been rewarding I have also managed to have six months off in those two years (and still earn 4 times as much???) However this "moment" of skills shortage is now over and it's back to the millstone for me.

As for jobs they are being removed from the landscape at a great rate of knots. Especially in the mining industry, contracts are being suspended...engineers are being laid off, whole divisions are shutting up shop. The last mine I was at laid off 80 workers in one go. Not sure why this isn't making the news headlines yet??

If there is any good news in this it's that if you are worth employing and can make yourself valuable to the company then you will still get work...it's just that the days of walking in off the street and getting a start straight away are over...til the next time.

PS if I could offer any advice it would be to leave the phone calls for every one else and get on the road...back out west and up north.