PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 21:47
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit that even as a person with a considerable interest in the Vulcan, even I have become so bored with the 558 saga that I rarely bother reading the various Vulcan threads on the enthusiast sites. There's really nothing esle to be said about the subject which hasn't already been said time and time again. As has been said above, the basic truth is that aeroplane enthusiasts want to see 558 fly but the general public couldn't care less. Likewise, the other truth is that companies don't want to throw sponsorship at the aircraft because they can't cover her in some ridiculous corporate livery. You can't blame them - what possible benefit would they get from sponsorship?

Clearly, no miracle donor is going to appear so it will be a struggle for the aircraft to appear next year. I hope 558 does fly again but I think we've all heard the "this could be the last chance" statements too many times now. If the situation really is that bleak, I just hope that TVOC will have the good sense to get the aircraft out of the UK while the aircraft has the ability to fly. Heaven forbid the aircraft should remain grounded in the UK until the cursed CAA manage to impose so many safety rules on the aircraft that money can never be found to let the aircraft escape. There might not even be money in the States to keep a Vulcan flying, but on balance, it's got to be worth a try. Even if 558 has to remain grounded for considerable periods, the aircraft would fare much better in a US climate, under the authority of the rather less nazi-esque FAA.

I note that the guys at Coventry are now embarking on a project to get their Shackleton back into the air. You've got to admire their enthusiasm when they face the prospect of the CAA's suffocating beaurocracy which seems to be running out of control, unchecked by either public or politicians. There can be no doubt that when XH558 does run out of cash completely, the responsibility for the Vulcan's grounding will ultimately lay firmly on the CAA's doorstep. There attitude and actions are absurd. The whole lot of 'em should be horsewhipped!