PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 19:57
hurn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It becomes increasingly apparent that that sort of thing is simply not going to happen, for people are notoriously bad at putting their hands in their pockets. Having seen it, they are probably satisfied, and not necessarily interested in seeing it again, at their expense.
I wouldn't agree. The pledge system seemed to work before when funds were needed, and that was before the thing had even flown.
I'd rather pay now to keep it flying at airshows than let it just become a one season wonder.

I saw it at Duxford, earlier this year. and. whilst agreeing that 'the Vulcan has delighted 1.5 million people at Airshows this year', a lot of them were 'delighted' simply because they were at the show anyway.
Again I'd disagree. A LOT of people went to shows mainly to see the Vulcan.
Farnborough was jam packed, and the amount of people heading for the exit AFTER it had flown its display was astounding.
I also heard plenty of groans at airshows when it was unable to appear after going u/s.

At Duxford, after it's display, obviously very muted compared to it's RAF displays, for various reasons, I overheard several people, my wife included, who were questioning what all the fuss was about as regards this aircraft.
Indeed. The display was very tame compared to years gone by, but with good reasons. Hopefully that will change in future once the necessary spar work is carried out.
Another problem with places like Duxford is you only get to see the aircraft in the air. It flies in, displays and leaves.
At events where its on the ground on static display, and able to take-off/land, you get the whole experience of seeing it and hearing it close-up, which as we all know is quite awe inspiring.