PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 17:18
bear11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, what options do EI have, then - anyone? And, by the way, I am working on the assumption that we are well over the SIPTU fantasy that the Irish state will buy it back (presumably at the price before the stock market tanked so the lads can make a few bob and pilots have a pension, plus re-annex SRT/TEAM). And then of course it could compete as an Irish flag carrier with all the reformed super airlines in Europe and presumably the rest of the world when Open skies comes in. Right - glad that's all sorted in time for Christmas, then.

EI due to RYRs proximity is evolving into a green RYR due to having to match their costs. In order to expand, they are bringing a brand to markets like Romania who have never heard of them before and who think the name means something to do with licking (ask any Romanian). As for longhaul expansion, the only precedent we have to date is (or was) Dubai - enough said. RYR have a strategic 30% of the shares, so EI are boxed off from being sold to someone else in any case.

Who would come along any way instead and snap it up? Air France/KLM? Nope, they're in Dublin already with CityJet as a feeder. BA? Oh, God, can't have the Brits take it plus the slots over, and they're a bit busy planning world domination with QANTAS/Iberia anyway. LH? Same as BA, except trying to take over the other side of Europe at the minute - if they're too busy to look at SAS, what chance does the Shamrock stand? In any case, all three of those carriers would reduce EI to a feeder for LHR/CDG/FRA/whatever, and the long-haul would be gone, so they would probably sell or take the famous strategic LHR slots.

Personally, I'd like to nominate the Italians, I think Alitalia and EI have a lot in common, none the least of which is a bunch of interfering politicians, most of whom need shooting.

Last edited by bear11; 2nd Dec 2008 at 20:02.