PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American flying schools
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 14:03
dom175b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American flying schools

I just had to air this - been with me a long time!

I went to fly in the USA in Ft.Pierce. The school was teaching FAA PPL to alot of english pilots so thought I would take advantage of the cheap dollar and away I went.

After having medicals in the UK, paperwork and buying loads of trainning items the school advised from Gleim costing £200 I was ready to go.

The advert which has been changed slightly is found in the back of most good GA publications said....All inclusive, accomodation, 40 hours flight trainning, medical, test etc etc etc £3999 or equivelent.

Got out there realised the school did not teach anything, only DVD's in a room with no windows, one knackered pc to use Sportys flight testing and a couple of books.

On arrival I also was told to purchase books, which I was given costing $220 and I needed a flight bag $100 ( very nice but didnt need it )

After 19 hrs i did my solo, it was wonderful. Then I had changed to a great new flight instructor called VT. He was great, but I had wasted 25-27 hrs with the school owner who just flew you round, but not teaching the FAA syllabus........

Test day came and even though i had worked, i failed. The examiner was shocked to hear i had had no class room experience except for my last hrs with VT, which was outside the school.

The total cost was close to £10,000 with books, (the included accomodation), extra time needed, payment for written test (again was meant to be included), no medical refund, flight out to the usa, food, transport and payment for examiner test! which was also meant to be included.

This particular flight school thinks once you are there they can charge you anything. They are con merchants, crooks.

Out of the nice people I met, one from Cayman he paid £4500 extra to get ppl, two older men didnt pass, young chap was dangerous and should not have been let on his own.

So

Dont - Pay up front, keep all hours logged and pay for them after each flight. Find out from an examiner the books you require and I think doing your exams in the UK would be cheaper.

Look up the flight school and stay in the UK, dont let this happen to you as well.

I would like to add the part time instructor i got later was amazing and I am sure there are some great schools in the US doing a wonderful job, but this particular one was a waste of my money.

Last edited by dom175b; 3rd Dec 2008 at 21:29.