PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 12:39
Twon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim,

You make some valid points but the discussion has digressed. The original post wanted to debate the method of introducing themselves/partner/sexuality to others on joining. and how they might be perceived. Many have offered their advice, which is to tread softly, not carefully, when "announcing" their sexuality.

This advice is not the same a saying you should conceal anything or modify your behaviour but is simply a matter of manners and protocol. I would not dream of introducing my wife to the CO's wife by saying 'I'd like to introduce my big-norked wife; can you tell I'm hetero yet?'. Likewise, I wouldn't expect anyone to announce they are gay but follow protocol and just introduce their boyfriend or life partner for what they are: ' Mrs Staish, I'd like to introduce you to Steve, my partner' would suffice. She will also follow protocol and respond with something like 'nice to meet you Steve', thus life goes on as normal without any conflict/disagreement/pink beret burning from CHOM roof.

Most have taken offence or bitten at the implication that there will automatically be any resistance and/or homophobic attitude. The answer is, don't make an issue of it; no announcements (or would it be pronouncments?) and no fuss, just be yourself. If anyone asks about girlfriends or a wife, then obviously it will need to be answered but nearly all on here seem to be saying "DO NOT ANNOUNCE YOUR SEXUALITY THE MOMENT YOU ARRIVE AT CRANWELL"; it is not officer-like behaviour.