PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok int'l airport closed
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 12:12
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Devil's in the Details

Don't start counting the chickens, yet.
  • The full PAD leadership has not met and approved calling off the protest yet.
  • Although there's an agreement to allow cargo flights, AoT is still saying that BKK won't open for SLF's until the 15th.
  • No damage assessments have been done, but the security cameras on the field have been destroyed. And PAD took the control tower with pipes and clubs in hand.
  • The field still has to be re-certified.
  • PAD's aims were not Somchai's resignation. This past summer, they claimed they would protest until Samak resigned. The court tossed him out for accepting $400 expense reimbursement for a cooking show he hosted.
  • PAD continued the protest after he left, and then said they would protest until Somchai resigned. Once again, a court tossed out the sitting PM.
  • The government party knew about the likely outcome of this court case for months, and have prepared for it. The party name and some of the faces will change, but the core of the government will remain the same as it was before the coup in 2006.
  • Don't expect the PAD to stop protesting. In both cases, the courts did exactly as the PAD wanted, but the protests continued, with no concern as to what damage is done to the country, and even with foreknowledge of the likely outcome of the court cases.
  • The alleged agreement allows for a continued PAD protest presence on the airport grounds, and jointly operated (PAD and AoT) checkpoints outside and inside the airport. Sort of like the Somali Maritime Customs and Ransom ministry.
I wouldn't hold my breathe that it will be back to normal soon, or would stay that way for any length of time.