PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IS the Big Airline Job the only option?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 08:38
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst there is nothing more than I would like to do than to roll up my sleeves and do some exciting flying I would echo the sentiments above on the airline business.

I fly the 320. With this rating I can fly the 318 through to 321. To go onto the 330/340 its a short course (CCQ) spanning no more than a couple of weeks and costing a fraction of the 30k that FR would charge you for a 737 rating should you be in the unfortunate position of having to self fund. What this means is that I have transferability which means a lot in the current market climate. By working for an airline with lots and lots of pilots I get a degree of roster stability and hardly any significant changes occur. I don't mind being just a number as it gives me a degree of anonymity when negotiating with crewing or when standing my ground and saying no. You wouldn't get this in a very small operation where personalities play a big part. My annual leave is fixed so I can go ahead and book holidays without the worry of losing my money. I can also avail of staff travel and interline tickets. I am always paid on time - you would be surprised how many companies don't. I am paid well for what I do and can afford some of lifes luxuries without having to scrimp and save.

We have a very high standard of training and are well respected across the industry. Some of our captains have taken early retirement over the years and been involved in training all across the world which means there is a good network of contacts available should it all turn to custard.

At this stage of your career you might think that things like rosters are irrelevant but I can assure you that in a very short time once you start in this industry you will find them very important. By all means take whatever job you can but always have an end goal in mind of where you want your career to end up. It is very easy to stay to long in a dead end job that reduces your marketability. Its no different to any other walk of life. Good luck.