PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 04:23
GreenKnight121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK... I'll start by stating: I'm a former USMC aircraft tech... I think the F-35 is a great aircraft, and I think the F-35B is the perfect aircraft for the USMC.

Now... it is NOT the perfect aircraft for Norway!

Between Gripen NG and F-35, guess which one I think is best for Norway?

To me, G-NG would be better operationally, financially, industrially, and politically for Norway.

The US & NATO won't start sidelining or ignoring Norway if they bought Swedish, as they are geographically vital for security of the North Atlantic... nor will there be operational problems, as Saab has successfully shown they can set up Gripens for NATO-standard data-links, radios, weapons, etc just fine.

Norway, however, would gain closer friendship, military, political, and industrial ties with its stronger next-door neighbor... which is good considering the "bear around the corner".

Operationally, G-NG would do everything Norway really needs... do you really see Norway trying a "cross-border, first-day-of-war" penetration of Russian airspace without NATO flying beside them? I don't... but being able to work seamlessly with Sweden's air force would help Norway's defense immensly.

Norwegian industry's work-load on the F-35 is secure, and they would then get some work-share on G-NG in addition.

I don't for a minute believe that the F-35 is cheaper than G-NG... but I can see how L-M might have offered them to Norway for exactly the cost Norway is quoting... they're acting like a shady car dealer.

You know, the guy who puts an ad in the paper advertising "Super discount on new cars"... and the price is so low you get excited and miss the fine print in the lower corner that lists 2 vehicle identification numbers? You then go rushing down to the lot, only to find every car is marked at normal price... and he tells you the sale was just on those two cars, and "we just sold them... but let me show you this one, and see what we can work out"?

Well, L-M is the dealer, and Norway's F-35s are those 2 cars... the plan is to get everyone so excited about Norway's price that they get their hearts set on getting some F-35s, and then sweet-talk them into buying at the higher, normal cost.

It's called "Bait-and-switch", and it happens all the time in sales all over the world.