PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 21:33
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if FBW and FBC are so damned good why doesn't your car have it for steering?
Simple answer: You can buy 10 (ten) brand new family cars for one ADIRU. An Airbus has three of it. And it's but ONE computer sub unit, worth 30 cars alone (including 30 brand new servos for steering).

Got the point? Then it's also obvious why we will never see such systems in general aviation anytime soon. You could buy a complete new Cessna / Piper / ... for just one device.

The very difference is, in my opinion, that people understand how a cable works, but not how a computer works. So they feel that they commit their lives to an electronic "thing", they do not understand.
Absolutely.

What I see people missing is the fact that a mechanical system is nowhere near infallible. It can crack, it can jam, it can come loose, it can be misinstalled, it can corrode, it can loose fluid silently .... which an electric system can't, by the way.

Ahh, people correct me - there are other failure types for electronic systems, like loss of electric power? Exactly. And now experts can do the math and come up with stochastics of failures. No system wins, as they are designed to a certain failure rate, not the other way around. But the electronic does have other advantages.

This "I only trust the mechanic system (with the microcracks I can't see)" debate from the "I don't trust my home PC" and "it's not in my cheapo car" folks gets boring over time. Yes, you will never "see" inside an algorithm, but you would have been equally not able to see the microcrack in the compressor disc that brought down a DC-10 in Sioux City. 'nuff said.