PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 21:03
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he were to get EI for €750m he would get immediate access to their cash reserves of over €800m
..Tonyryan

Tonyryan the bank balance would not come with the airline. Ryanair wouldnt be taking over the bank account.

I think that Aer Lingus needs to be part of a bigger consortium or bigger airline grouping to secure its long term position and to be able to withstand the highs and lows of the airline business which is so cyclical. It is unlikely that any airline group eg AirFrance/KLM would look to take over Aer Lingus due to Ryanair's 30% shareholding, which is a disadvantage for Aer Lingus and also says to me that eventually Ryanair will gain control.

MOL sees Aer Lingus as a vehicle for long haul and transatlantic flying. And I am starting to believe this. He has strongly indicated that any long haul aspirations would be fulfilled by a new airline and not Ryanair which will continue to focus on short haul.

Apart from wanting to completely take over Irish aviation, MOL would like to gain control of Aer Lingus so he could lever and dictate to Dublin airport, and probably Cork and Shannon too.

Imagine if Ryanair gained control of Aer Lingus and then AerArann, at which point the merged entity could be all things to all people. Good at niche routes, thin routes, long haul, short haul. The lot.

I also would love to see a Boeing 737 sporting Aer Lingus colours!

EI-BUD