PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IS the Big Airline Job the only option?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 19:28
keith lester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS the Big Airline Job the only option?

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a new to this so please forgive my ignorance (of which there may be planty of)
I will try to make this simple
I want to earn a sustainable living from flying
I do not care if i have passengers called humans or passengers called animals or boxes.
I would be so happy to fly and earn an income sufficient to pay back training costs and live somewhere in Europe and possibly enjoy life. I am currently a bar manger in a quiet, seaside town, wasting my life away.
I have read many threads here and the goal seems to be a Pilot of a big airline, for this you need an ATPL MCC and a Type rating. Estimated costs of 150k euro .
I would like someone to advise me why I should not aim to train for a regional airline job or for cargo? using twin turbo props etc.
I see that in Ireland the Cargo airline is looking for 500 + hrs in an ATR there are other examples.
"Air contractors" will pay 40,000 for F.O. basic training costs for what I have outlined seem to be €30,000. ( CPL ; MULTI; IR). get a Flight Instructer rating for hour builing.
I might of missed out on some big point, but that is exactly why I am posting this question/thread
P.s. I am 29 and really hope that it is not too late for a career in this profession!
Yours sincerely
Keith Mc Donogh
Kilkee Co Clare