PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds Heliport (1980s)?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 17:55
Dave Redmond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heli Leeds

Hi Jeff and all.

Worked at Heli Leeds 1976/7 as a 'loader' - basically putting punters in and out on pleasure flights. Many many stories and reading on here is unreal. Did you live in Roundhay Jeff? ... I think we may have lived near each other at the time. Names that come back to me are 'Wally' - ok - 'Capt Holmes' to me, Pilots: Dick, Manjit [I knew him as Majic], Ian, Mark [?]. I worked with a mechanic called Glen a lot and Jeremy [Wallys son]. Can just about remember Brian.

Who was the guy that used to service Wally's Jensen?

Spent a good few days up at a horse jumping show near Morpeth north of Newcastle, doing pleasure flights but trade was poor. Got up to a few 'tricks' including racing express trains across the site with the chopper! Tyne Tees TV complained about us flying too near to their cameramen on top of scaffolding towers. I was in a chopper that had a 'chip warning' forced landing at Cleethorpes.

I beleive 'Wally' became a changed man after he retired - I think he had heart problems. He started to help a lot of people and gave a lot of money away. Wasn't a bad bloke as it turned out.