PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do? Help Please.
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 17:07
NickGooseBrady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do? Help Please.

Hi All,

I am just about to take my final 7 ATPLs.

This means the clock starts seriously ticking for completion of CPL/IR.

My dilemma:

I have just been offered an extension of my current career for another 6 years. This will take me to an immediate pension point. I will be 39 at this point and able to draw on a sizeable pension lump sum of approx £60k and take home approx £9k a year pension, index linked. In other words I would be a total mentalist not to take this (especially in the current climate).

Assuming then that I remain in my current employment for another 6 years. Is there any point at all getting the CPL/IR done within the three years?

Stretching things as far as poss these are my timelines:

Take final exam at latest date (within 18 month window and allowing for a poss faliure) = Oct 2009.

Oct 2009 + 3 years = Oct 2012 to have CPL/IR completed.

Leave current employment earliest = Feb 2015.

Thus I would be trying to keep a CPL/IR current for just under 3 years before I would be in a position to seek a flying job, and who knows what the climate will be like for a 39 year old new boy in 2015.

Any suggestions what I should do? I feel I need to start taking some action now. Is it really worth doing the next 7 exams? Should I therefore just cut my losses for another 3 years and then do all 14 again.

Are there any cunning ways to keep a CPL/IR current and in regular practise for 3 years whilst still working full time?

I know this sounds a little like I can't whipe my own arse!! It's just that there isn't anyone with the faintest idea what I'm talking about that I can have a chat with.

At a loss,

NGB